If your portal administrator configured the portal to use ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World content, you can add these Living Atlas layers to the maps or scenes you create. Apps you create that contain these maps and scenes will use the Living Atlas layers too.
Add Living Atlas layers to maps
When you create a map in Map Viewer, you can search for Living Atlas layers to add to your map.
Follow these steps to search for Living Atlas layers in Map Viewer:
- Sign in to your portal.
- Click Map at the top of the portal.
- To access Living Atlas layers, do one of the following:
- Click Add > Browse Living Atlas Layers.
- Click Add > Search for Layers and choose Living Atlas from the drop-down list at the top of the search panel.
This populates the Contents pane with a list of Living Atlas layers. By default, only those layers that fall within the extent of your map appear in the list.
- Type a keyword or phrase into the Search for layers box to find relevant content.
To filter the list for only Living Atlas boundary layers running directly on the portal, type owner: esri_boundaries in the Search for layers box.
- To further focus the search results, click the Filter button and choose Categories, an Item Type, Tags, and a Status to help you find the content you need. Filters can be used singly or in combination.
- Click the Sort button to change the order of the search results.
- Use the scroll bar in the Contents pane to scroll through the list.
- Click the name of a layer to access a details pane containing the following:
- A summary of the layer's content, which also indicates if the layer is part of ArcGIS Online premium content, and would, therefore, consume ArcGIS Online credits
- An option to open the item's detail page
- An option to add the layer to the map
- For some layers, an option to add the layer as a basemap
- Alternatively, you can add the layer to the map without opening the details pane by clicking the Add button in the Contents pane.
- To remove a layer from the map, click the Remove button on the layer in the search result list.
- When you finish adding the layers you need, click the Back arrow to close the search pane.
Add Living Atlas layers to scenes
You can add 3D Living Atlas layers to scenes you create in Scene Viewer.
Follow these steps to add 3D layers from the Living Atlas to your scene:
- Sign in to your portal.
- Click Scene at the top of the portal website and open an existing or new scene.
- Click Add Layers in the Designer pane of Scene Viewer.
- Choose Living Atlas from the drop-down list at the top of the Designer pane.
- Type a keyword in the Enter search terms box and click the Filter button to access options to help you find the right layers for your needs.
To filter the list for only Living Atlas boundary layers running directly on the portal, type owner: esri_boundaries in the Enter search terms box.
- Click a layer's name to see a description of the layer to determine if you want to use it in your scene.
- When you find the layer you want, click Add to scene in the layer's description pane.
The layer is added, and the scene zooms to the location of the layer.
- Repeat steps 5 through 7 to add more Living Atlas layers to your scene.
- When you finish adding layers to your scene, click Done.